As I am reminded of social injustice and my responsibility to make an impact for Christ in the world, I am overwhelmed. I am aware of the common question of, what can one person do? I am aware of the common answer, only so much as one person is called to do.
That does not always comfort my tender heart that wants to save the world.
I have to bring the logic of Christ into this struggle. While my heart wants to save the whole world, I have to remember that Christ's heart already did. As long as I tune in to the guiding of His Spirit, I will make the specific impact that my heart was created to make.
Sitting in the park, contemplating this struggle to tend to the hurts of this world I was drawn to look at the movement of the wind.
I'm always touched by the wind. God truly uses it to reveal the mysteries of His Spirit. In the past, He has shown me that the wind moves the fragile, light leaves. It reminds me of the surrender of the leaves to the movement of the wind in the same way I surrender to the movement of the Spirit. If I were a strong, immovable tree trunk how would I be moved and transformed? I will instead remain a fragile, gentle leaf.
Today in the park it was not the leaves that I noticed. It was the grass.
As the gentle rustle of the wind moved the grass I was struck that each blade did not move in the same direction. I never noticed before that the movement of each blade is determined by the way it was created, thin, thick, tall, short. They move differently.
They are all moved by the same wind. But the wind moves them to certain places.
We are all moved by the same Spirit. But the Spirit moves us to different purposes.
The Holy Spirit urges my brother and sister and it urges me. One to Africa, one to adopt a child, and me to apply myself to student leadership. My purpose will flow and change, and sometimes it will be the same as the blade of grass next to me. Other times, the same wind will move me in a new direction. I will remain light and moveable. We will respect the movement of the wind in each of our lives.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wonderful and insightful.
ReplyDeleteI can finally appreciate grass again.
Wow! Such a new concept. I LOVE how you see the beauty in such simple things. It truly is a childlike approach to our faith, I think, while still maintaining a very developed and mature sense of understanding. Hard to explain.
ReplyDeleteThank you for continually reminding me to look around this big beautiful Earth that God's given us and teaching me how to see Him through it. :) You write in such a way as to allow others to see through your eyes. It's lovely.